Unit 2 World History
The Step Pyramid of El Castillo near current day Cancun Mexico. (From my personal files)
Beaumaris Castle in Wales. (From my personal files)
This is a large chapter in terms of the amount of well-known history it covers. I chose to connect all of the cultures surrounding the Mediterranean into this one chapter due to the amount of inter-connectivity that was occurring during this time period. This starts with the rise of Islamic Empires in the Middle East and the height of power for the Arab people. This is continued with the rise of powerful and rich trading empires in West Africa. These empires would eventually connect with both the Islamic Empires and Western Europe. Finally we cover the “Dark Ages” in Europe including the rise of Russia as a power. The students obviously come to class with a decent amount of knowledge about the European Middle Ages, due to the amount of times it is shown in popular culture, but the interplay between these cultures allows the students to understand even this society on a much more deep level than before. As always, this information also helps in the understanding of later history in these areas also.
- What were the reasons for the schism in either the Catholic faith or Islam during this era and how do the two sides differ currently?
- What made West Africa and the Middle East so much more advanced than Europe during this era despite being so close to the continent? How did they differ culturally or intellectually that created this difference? (hint: think about the Caliphate of Cordoba)
- What were the causes and effects of the Crusades for both Europe and the Middle East?
- What were the causes of the investiture controversy and how was it eventually finished?
- How would you compare and contrast the Umayyad and Abbasid Dynasties? Be sure to include the rise and fall as well as how they were constructed.
This area is in the process of being created. In the meantime, please see the class notes for any information you may need for this chapter. An example of a completed page can be found in chapter 11.
These are the notes that I use for class. All information found in these notes lead directly to the test so they should be used in studying if you want the correct answers. This can only be accessed by students logged into their school account.
This link will lead you to the PowerPoint for this unit. Those who missed class can use this to catch up on what was taught in class and what specific concepts to focus on in your studying.
This is the review that should be used to prepare for the exam. All exam questions will be connected directly to this document. Students are expected to answer all questions and are encouraged to know the rest also.